Hambanthota International Airport Project is a 2nd international Airport in Srilanka, it launched by HE the President Mahinda Rajapaksa on Friday, 27th November 2009.
The HIA project budgeted US$ 200 Million with the financial assistance of Chinese Government. The HIA will be constructed in 2,000 Hectares in Mattala, Hambanthota, Srilanka.
The Hambanthota International Airport projects undertake in 2 steps,
Step 1 initial Development
Basic Aerodrome Facility, Runway, Apron, Taxi way, Passenger and cargo terminals and necessary internal developments.
Step 2 Second Stage Development
Development of support services such as,
Parallel taxi way, flying schools, hotels and residential facilities and so on.
Theme of Hambanthota International Airport
- Eco Airport – preserves the exiting environment and creates better environment surroundings of Airport.
- At least 15% of Energy will derived from renewable sources, such as bio mass, solar and wind power.
Goals of the Hambanthota International Airport
- To provide an alternative services to BIA.
- Enhance economic activities in the regions,
- Create more employments for skill and semi skill labors.
- Improve infrastructure in the region.
Target market and benefiting community
- Airline passenger service and Air cargo services to the southern part of Srilanka.
- Aircraft maintenances,
- Aviation trainings,
- Hospitality service industry,
- Private flight services,
Benefiting community of HIA
- Business entities
- new employment opportunity,
- improve infrastructure facilities in the region,
- upliftment of education in region.