Applications are invited by Universities New Zealand from eligible Sri Lankans for the award of Postgraduate Scholarships offered under the Commonwealth Scholarships and Fellowships Plan (CSFP) tenable in New Zealand for the academic year commencing in
February, 2012. Number of Scholarships to be awarded is 02 for PhD or Masters Studies.
These scholarships will provide opportunities to Sri Lankans to pursue advanced courses of study and to undertake research. These scholarships are intended for persons of good intellectual promise who may be expected to make a significant contribution to the country on their return upon successful completion of studies/research.
Fields of Study
There is no restriction as to the field of study. But the priority will be given to following sectors:
- Leadership and Governance
- Public sector governance and reform
- Environmental Studies
- Agriculture and Fisheries
- Biosecurity and Food Safety
- Infrastructure and utility
- Human Rights and Gender
General Eligibility Requirements:
a) All candidates should be citizens of Sri Lanka
b) Not have citizenship or permanent residence status of New Zealand or Australia , or another developed country, except where their country does not issue passports and they hold a New Zealand passport.(eg.The Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau)
c) Not be married or engaged to be married to a person who holds, or who is eligible to hold, citizenship or permanent residence status of New Zealand, Australia or another developed country, except where their country does not issue passports and they hold a New Zealand passport. (eg.The Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau)
d) Age: should be less than 40 years on 25 .04.2011
e) Should possess First Degree with Upper Second Class Honours in the relevant field of study, from a recognized university and a relevant Master’s degree for PhD studies.
f) Should possess high proficiency in English. To prove this, the candidate must have sat either IELTS or TOEFL examination and obtained high marks. Test results must be not more than 24 months old at the time the applicant would commence study.
g) Should be employed in a Ministry/Department, a University or in a State Sector Institution. Notes (i) and (ii) below
h) Applicants cannot:
- Concurrently hold another scholarship;
- Hold or have held, a New Zealand or Australian Government scholarship in the 24 months preceding the scholarship start date;
- Be studying full-time at post-secondary level;
- Have completed a qualification in a similar field of study at the same level or another qualification at the same level. The proposed level of study should be at a higher level than qualifications already received:
Terms of award:
Each scholarship will carry the following benefits:
- Travel : Approved air fare for awardee and reimbursement of awardee’s visa costs
- Tuition and enrolment fees
- Course-related costs : Text books/Research allowance/Thesis allowance
- Medical and Travel Insurance
- Establishment allowance
- Stipend to cover living expenses such as food, accommodation and course related costs
Applications will be accepted only up to on 25.04.2011
Applications should be sent to the following address by Registered Post or by hand to reach on or before the closing date.
Ministry of Higher Education,
No.18, Ward Place,