Srilankan Railway is one of the best to discover Srilanka, its one of the best and favorite mode of transport by tourist and local.
There are few approched to reserve your trains in advance,
1] Visiting Railway Stations – From 14 days before the Date of the Journey
|Railway Station||Telephone Number||From 14 Days before the Date of the Journey, in Weekdays – Open Between|
|Colombo Fort – Reservation Office||011-2432908||06.00 to 12.00 and 12.30 to 14.00|
|Kandy||081-2222271||08.00 to 16.00|
|Badulla||055-2222271||08.00 to 16.00|
|Anuradhapura||025-2222271||08.00 to 16.00|
|Vavuniya||024-2222271||08.00 to 16.00|
2] Calling Mobitel Call-Center – only for Colombo-Kandy Intercity Trains – From 28 Days before the Date of the Journey
Steps to Follow –
1. Dial 365 in your Mobitel Telephone
2. The Mobitel Call Centre Operator will answer
3. Give your requirement and reserve your seat
4. You will receive a Reference Number through SMS
5. Show ( or tell ) this Reference Number to the Station Master ( at Colombo Fort, Gampaha, Peradeniya or Kandy ) or to any of the Mobitel Billing Centres
6. Then, you will receive the Train Ticket ( M-Ticket)
7. Your Train Fare will be added to the Mobitel Bill.
This facility will be extended to other Intercity Trains.
but most of the time the reservation could be done in a 2 weeks, if it is a observation or a first class only needed to book before 28 days of journey.
and the reservation will be turf in Season Periods as follows,
January – New Year Period
April – Sinhala & Tamil New Year period
May – Vesak Fullmoon days
August – School Holidays
December – Christmas and School holiday periods
other than this, the reservation would be much easier and better too